Can you be happy for 100 days?
Just over 100 days ago I started the 100 Happy Days challenge on Instagram. Their website says that we are so busy in life nowadays that we do not stop to notice our environment and everything else around us. It states that 71% of people started the challenge and did not complete it because they “did not have time to be happy”. The idea of the challenge, or at least the way I interpreted it, is to get people to notice all the little things that make them happy in the day, and to share that with others. It certainly worked for me! So today I am going to share with you some of my favourite 100 Happy Days photos.
1. Day 1: My first #100HappyDays post. This was taken in my bedroom after I’d spent an afternoon tidying. I felt clean, refreshed, relaxed and happy, which is probably what spurred me to start the challenge in the first place.
2. Day 7: This is a photo of the ticket and postcards I bought at the Pinacotheque de Paris, where I went with friends to see a Gustav Klimt exhibition. I discovered a new found love for his art and a real appreciation for his technique. New favourite artist, I think!
3. Day 10: Chinese food, yum yum yum! But really though, this food was awesome and it was only half of all the food we ordered!
4. Day 12 & 16: My first trip outside Paris during my time here. Down to the centre of France to visit a friend and her family for Easter. I was really made to feel like a part of the family and I had such a wonderful week!
5. Day 33: This time instead of visiting a friend I had my friend visit me! My first non-family visitor, Babs and I had such a great weekend seeing the sights and being silly.
6. Day 40: My first time eating fish and chips since January! I hadn’t eaten this beautiful food in almost six months and, let me tell you, this was absolutely di-VINE. I had this at The Sunken Chip, a fish and chip shop in the 10th arrondissement. You can visit their Instagram here.
7. Day 43: So I posted this view quite a few times during the challenge, but I think this one is the clear winner. This is the view from my desk at work and I’ll be damned if I don’t waste a good 5-10 minutes every day just staring at this out the window.
8. Day 48: Halfway through my challenge I went back to Spain to visit my friend John in Zaragoza. I hadn’t realised just how much I had missed the food until I went back. On my first and last nights we went to the best tapas restaurant I have ever been to, La Pilara, and I got to have my beloved patatas bravas and tinto de verano.
9. Day 63: Another English food-related photo, this time of my first full English breakfast in six months. Bliss!
10. Day 67: Best evening ever! Antonella and I went to see Brandon Flowers in concert at Le Trianon theatre in Montmartre. We were so close to the front and he was so beautiful…OK I’ll stop fangirling now!
11. Day 77: Food…are you even surprised by now? This amazing dessert is my absolute favourite dessert from the canteen at work and has quickly become my favourite dessert ever. I must learn how to make it when I get home.
12. Day 78: One of the best views of Paris, particularly by night, is from the top of Montparnasse Tower in the 15th arrondissement. Absolutely stunning, a must-see for anyone staying in Paris for a reasonable amount of time.
13. Day 87: Not quite your conventional picture, this signified a complete VICTORY over a game I had been playing for years. I finally made 2048 and I have now deleted the game from my phone because I know I won’t be getting any better than that!
14. Day 90: My first trip up the Eiffel Tower during my stay in Paris! Although that wasn’t my actual happy moment of the day (it was completely unrelated to the photo), my moment on the tower was pretty damn good after I got over a little bout of vertigo.
15. Day 96: Food porn alert! My last meal with Emily before she went home to England (I’m crying) and another beautiful fish and chip dinner. Can’t wait for three weeks time when I can go home and have this again!
And there you have it, my 15 favourite moments from my #100HappyDays challenge. I know I cheated a little on one of my moments, but it was so hard to choose and there were so many more photos that I could’ve included.
On the 100 Happy Days website they claim that people who successfully completed the challenge start to notice the little things that make them happy, realise how lucky they are to have the life they have and even fall in love during the challenge. I agree with all of these claims, especially the last one. Now I may not have fallen in love in the conventional sense, but I have definitely fallen in love with my life and, more particularly, the city of Paris. Paris je t’aime!
Since starting the challenge I have really loved sharing my moments and this wonderful city on my Instagram account (@hlou14) and I hope that those of you that have followed me have enjoyed them as well. It’s nice to know that I might be spreading a little bit of joy through my happy moments and, although I won’t be doing the official challenge any more, I will be trying to post every day to share my happiness, my adoration of this city and my thankfulness for all these amazing experiences I am having.
Until next time,